8dBi Fiberglass Antenna
Note: The included RP-SMA to N-type cable with the antenna is for indoor use only.
This is a high quality outdoor antenna designed to be deployed outdoors, for better range. The antenna connector is one with the antenna body, because this design increases the resistance of the antenna to external conditions further. It is IP67 rated, making it weather proof. It is designed to work in the sub-GHz bands like EU868, IN865 and RU864.
The coverage that this antenna provides makes it ideal for deployment outdoors in a high altitude spot within the outskirts of an urban area or a small village, where there is a very low number of other buildings and people in general. In such a scenario it is likely that the signal will be able to cover a longer distance until it reaches the intended recipient of the transmission. If you need the transmission signal to reach the opposite side of the urban area or other near enough located villages or cities, it is likely that this antenna will provide you with the needed coverage.
As this is a higher range dBi antenna, it is designed to provide better, fuller and more stable coverage for devices that are situated far away from it, as opposed to a lower dBi antenna, which would be able to do the same for devices that are situated close to its location. The general logic related to the difference between a higher dBi antenna and a lower dBi antenna is best understood by viewing the picture below.
The exact shape of coverage for antennas in general resembles that of a doughnut, while the exact radiation pattern for the currently discussed 8dBi antenna can be viewed on the picture below.
Overall the specs of this particular antenna are a great fit for use with a Helium hotspot, such as the RAK Hotspot V2 or MNTD Hotspot, mostly because you will be able to reach a great number of witnesses in areas that are far away, such as villages or cities, especially if you manage to install it high and close to the top of a building, where it would have a direct line of sight towards the very slightly visible buildings in the far away distance.
An example for a good deployment of such an antenna in relation to other Helium hotspots nearby can be seen on the image below.
- If selected with the N-type to RP-SMA Connector Type the antenna will include a converter cable, making it fully compatible with RAK's WisGate Developer Gateways and MNTD and RAK V2 Hotspots. For compatibility with other devices, please check their documentation. If you want to know more about the connectors used in our devices you can see this blog
- This antenna is too long to be attached directly to a gateway/hotspot enclosure's N-typo connector. To avoid damaging the connector especially in windy season, we recommend using a feeder line cable and securing the antenna with brackets, away from the enclosure.
- This antenna cannot be used for the EU433 and CN470 frequencies.
Shipping notice: Due to the length of the antenna, the shipping cost will be 50USD.
- IPEX: Small connector found on our concentrator cards like the RAK2287
- RP-SMA: Connector found on our commercial and developer gateways and Helium™ Hotspots like the MNTD and RAK Hotspot V2
- Frequency: 858-878MHz
- Gain: 8.0 dBi (±1dBi)
- VSWR: ≤1.5
- Beamwidth: 360 degrees
- Impedance: 50 Ohms
- Polarization: Vertical
- Radome Body: Fiberglass
- Connector: N-Type Male
- Bracket Inclusion: 2pcs brackets
- Dimensions: 1300 ± 25mm
- Operation Temperature: -30°C~65°C
- Storage Temperature: -30°C~75°C
- 1pc Antenna
- 1pc Pigtail interface converter (Not included if you select N-Type Male as Connector Type)
- 2pcs Mounting Brackets
Become a RAK Affiliate and Earn Today!
Get paid to talk about RAK products! Join the RAK Affiliate program today.
Questions and Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.
Great quality Antennae!
Great service, delivery and quality. Cannot fault.
8 dBi antenna
Improved the coverage