RAK7391 Compute Module 4 (CM4) Carrier Board
The RAK7391 is a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4) carrier board. It is a Mini-ITX with multiple slots for radio and WisBlock modules. The RAK7391 is the motherboard in the WisGate Connect.
The RAK7391 is a great board to build your own solution on top of it, being it a gateway, and edge device or a general purpose computer!
The board has several interfaces to meet the needs of different developers: HDMI, 1GB Ethernet (with optional PoE support), 2.5GB Ethernet, USB2 & USB3, mPCIe, CSI, DSI, M.2, WisBlock...
Of course, it can also be used as a multichannel/multi-band LoRaWAN gateway product supporting up to 4 separate modules (for instance: you can have a 16-channel sub GHz LoRaWAN gateways plus a 2.4 GHz LoRaWAN gateway in the same device). It has flexible power supply modes such as DC terminal, Phoenix terminal, and POE (optional). The RAK7391 provides a fan interface to dissipate heat for the CPU that you can control based on the CPU temperature. It can monitor the power supply. In the event of a power failure, the ultra-capacitors can provide power to the system, so that the system can send a notification or easily survive micro-cuts in the power supply.
The RAK7391 can also be used as an Industrial gateway leveraging existing WisBlock modules (ModBUS, 4-20mA, 0-5V, general IO), and Edge Gateway, a Standalone gateway for a private LoRaWAN deployment and the development platform of your next product.
See hardware compatibility section below.
- Accepts the complete range of CM4 modules
- 2x WisBlock IO connectors
- 3x mPCIe slots
- 1x M.2 B-Key interface
- Flexible power supply modes such as DC terminal, Phoenix terminal and POE (optional)
- HDMI 2.0 connector
- 1 GB Ethernet with PoE support (optional)
- 2.5 GB Ethernet
- 1x USB2.0 + 2x USB3.0
- Type-C USB socket for updating the CM4
- Micro SD Card socket for CM4 Lite modules
- Standard fan connector, compatible with 12 V and 5 V fans (jumper cap configuration)
- Output power connector (+5 V, +12 V with PoE)
- MIPI DSI display FPC connector (22 pin 0.5 mm pitch cable)
- 2x MIPI CSI-2 camera FPC connectors (22 pin 0.5 mm pitch cable)
- Raspberry Pi HAT connector
- PoE support via an optional module
- Debug UART port
- RTC with battery socket and ability to wake up CM4
- Configuration jumpers (Wi-Fi and BLE enabling/disabling, EEPROM write enable, Buzzer enabling)
We have prepared a custom Linux distribution for the WisGate Connect called RAKPiOS. The RAKPiOS is a fork of the Raspberry Pi OS with all the required drivers to use the device, some security changes, helper scripts and Docker included by default.
With the included rakpios-cli you can easily configure the network and deploy several IoT services from a curated list of docker containers available from the device.
What's in the kit
- RAK7391 CM4 carrier board
- Set of jumpers
- Phoenix male connector
- 12V2A power supply
- Set of standoffs and screws to protect the board
- Set of screws for the MiniPCIe, M.2 and WisBlock slots
- LoRaWAN gateway (multichannel, multiband)
- Industrial gateway leveraging existing WisBlock modules (ModBUS, 4-20mA, 0-5V, general IO)
- Edge gateway / Standalone gateway
- Development platform for new products
Questions and Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.